Buying a Moth – UPDATE 2014!Number of Views: 55235
There are many designs to choose from: Mach2, Ninja, Bladerider, Prowler Zero, Prowler, Mistress, Axiom, Hungry Tiger and many one offs which are also available.
Budget will be a large determining factor but performance is also something to consider. Not everyone will want the very latest and fastest designs and many will be happy to experience foiling at a more fundamental level. Key things to look for are a good control system in good working order, a good set of foils and a sound hull and platform on which to build.
Many of the older designs can be bought relatively cheaply and upgraded by purchasing a new rig and foils.
Ideally you would want to get a boat with a trolley and boat cover, but nowadays there are a lot more companies involved in the class that can provide ancillary equipment.
Rigs are again not important in the early stages of mothing as long as the sail is not completely blown out.
Whatever happens, you should have a boat that will bring your sailing to a whole new level and put a smile on your face forever!
UPDATE 2014 **
When looking at buying a moth via this site please apply some common sense rules to save yourself a lot of trouble and potentially money as there are a lot of scammers attacking this site in an attempt to con people out of money with bogus adverts.
- NEVER GIVE YOUR BANK DETAILS TO ANYONE YOU DO NOT KNOW OR HAVE NOT SPOKEN TO IN PERSON.
- THE MOTH CLASS IS A SMALL ONE AND EVERYONE KNOWS EVERYONE SO WHEN A BOAT IS BEING SOLD, EVERYONE IN THE CLASS (IN THE RESPECTIVE COUNTRY) WILL KNOW ABOUT IT SO DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK AROUND.
- THE BIGGEST GIVEAWAY OF A SCAM IS THE ADVERTS. REMEMBER, IF IT’S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE… IT IS!
- ALWAYS TRY TO CHECK WITH PEOPLE ALREADY IN THE CLASS TO VERIFY IF A BOAT IS GENUINELY FOR SALE. FACEBOOK HAS A LOT OF MOTH ASSOCIATION PAGES AVAILABLE SO STOP BY AND ASK QUESTIONS.
- IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS A BOAT FOR SALE, MAKE SURE YOU TRY TO GET PLENTY OF PICS AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE BOAT. ASK TO SEE EVIDENCE OF THE ISAF PLAQUE AND THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO DETERMINE A GENUINE BOAT.